Homes for Sale in Kakaako, HI
For the last decade, Kakaako has been burgeoning with real estate development and has quickly become the mecca of Oahu new homes. With as many as 20 new Kakaako condos either completed, under construction, or in the planning stages, the skyline you saw 5 years ago is unrecognizable today. The draw of the neighborhood is underpinned by its premier location, situated between Waikiki and Downtown Honolulu and fronted by a playground in paradise; the iconic Ala Moana beach.
>> See Ultimate Guide to Kakaako Living
While Kakaako isn't the only neighborhood offering New Honolulu Condos, it's undoubtedly the tip of the spear. The adjacent Ala Moana neighborhood has seen its own transformation of late and while new Ala Moana Condos offer a similar lifestyle, they lack ocean frontage(aside from The Residences of Park Lane). The front row of Kakaako will forever enjoy unparalleled, unobstructed ocean view of crystal Pacific blue. It's hard to pin a price on that but for some, it's priceless. Kakaako is homes to some of the most expensive homes in Hawaii. Check out this $19M Penthouse at Anaha in Ward Village, Kakaako to see what we're talking about.
KAKAAKO CONDOS AND HOMES
Prospective buyers looking for single family options will have to take the search outside of Kakaako, this is condo country! While you will find some affordable housing in Kakaako, the neighborhood is best known for offering mid-luxury to ultra luxury Honolulu condos for sale. Once the neighborhood matures, we'll see more than 5,000 new honolulu apartments and condo units enter the market, with the majority of that inventory falling within the following three sectors:
- East Kakaako is the region closest to and bordered by Ala Moana Shopping Center and is most easily identified by everything between Ward Avenue and Piikoi St. This sector consists of some of Kakaako's "legacy" condos that were built between 1999-2009, as well as a new master planned community named Ward Village developed by the Howard Hughes Corporation.
Ward Village is the acting "tip of the spear" of the neighborhood and was named Best Master Planned Community in 2017 by Architectural Digest. The condos in Ward Village were planned to offer unmatched walkable convenience and alternate methods of commute. The vision will materialize through wide sidewalks and green spaces throughout the neighborhood, promoting residents to leave the car at home and walk or bike to their favorite Kakaako restaurant or retail store. Those looking to venture a little further out are expected to soon have the utility of two future planned Honolulu Rail stations.
Expect Ward Village condos for sale to range from the $500,000 micro-studios at Aalii up to the $25 Million Grand Penthouse of Waiea. "Reserved Housing" units were also sometimes offered to provide more moderately priced housing for residents with restrictions. Check out our guide to Honolulu Affordable Housing Requirements to learn more.
- West Kakaako offers a trendy, culture rich lifestyle that sees a healthy dose of urban-industrial inspired elements in it's construction of new commercial and residential development. West Kakaako is best identified as the area between Ward Avenue and South St -- with it's most noteworthy establishment being SALT at Kakaako shopping center; the neighborhood's urban epicenter that offers dozens of retail, restaurant, and coffee shop opportunities.
Most of the neighborhood is owned and planned Kamehameha Schools under the guise of the "Our Kakaako," master plan. While West Kakaako features some of the older condos in the neighborhood, we're still seeing solid influx of new developments taking hold. Real estate prices in West Kakaako range from roughly $500,000 for a modest 1-bedroom, up to the grand penthouses of $7.6 Million.
Kakaako Condo Insights
- Buildings that run across Ala Moana Boulevard are what we call the "Front Row," and command the highest prices as this is the best location to secure Kakaako condos with ocean views. Naturally the further you retreat from Ala Moana Boulevard and Beach Park, the more likely it is you have buildings in front of you that obstruct your ocean views.
- Condos in Kakaako that are not on the front are subject to their views potentially being obstructed in the future. Be sure to ask your Kakaako Realtor about how mature the views are from any building you may be touring. I tell all of my clients not to fall in love with the warehouse rooftops they see in front of them, as you may very well be watching someone else's Seinfeld episodes across from you in years to come.
- Amenities for most condos in the neighborhood are second to none, especially if you're exploring the luxury Kakaako condos. Expect to see fitness centers, movie theaters, spa options, multiple pools, and BBQ stations.
KAKAAKO CONDOS VS. KAKAAKO APARTMENTS
What's the difference? It's all semantics really. The term condo is typically reserved as "for sale" units whereas apartments are typically identified as housing options that are for rent. Regardless of whether you're searching for a new Kakaako condos or apartment for rent, we've got you covered!
>> See Kakaako Rentals